Fall is coming quickly, and there are so many things to love about this season!
There are also important steps to take when it comes to prepping your home for what’s to come in fall and winter. Chem-Dry is here to help with that and so much more—including water damage restoration in Lafayette when you need it.
Every region of the United States is at risk for winter flooding, according to FEMA. But what exactly makes winter especially risky? And what can you start doing now to help protect your home?
Culprits Of Winter Flooding
Winter flooding can occur in various ways. Here are some of the most common.
- Frozen Pipes. When liquid inside pipes freezes, it can cause the pipes to burst. Insulating pipes, especially the ones in crawl spaces and along exterior walls, can help significantly.
- Snow Melt. When ice and snow melt or thaw quickly, the runoff can cause dangerous flooding—especially when the ground remains frozen.
- Ice Dams. Heat often rises into attics, warming ice and snow on the rooftop. When the melted moisture reaches rain gutters, it can then re-freeze and create a dam that causes flooding.
- Ice Jams. Surfaces of rivers can freeze in cold temperatures. Then, when the water levels rise or the moisture thaws, the surface ice can break off into chunks—causing obstructions and even flooding.
- Coastal Flooding. Winter storms, and particularly wind, can cause tidal flooding and erosion on coastlines. These surges can damage lake communities.
Water Damage Restoration In Lafayette
The good news is, there are precautions you can take to help prevent winter flooding or limit its impact in the case it does happen.
It’s a wise idea to have a flood insurance policy and be familiar with what it covers. It’s also important to have an emergency kit on hand. In the case of flooding, be sure to take photos of the damage as well.
Chem-Dry can also help with on-call water damage restoration in Lafayette. We’re here when you need us to help get you back on your feet fast.